Statement of purpose and mission
The Technology Valley Working Group formulated the following with reference to individuals and organisations primarily in the Hutt Valley. Nevertheless the programme has few boundaries and will inevitably spread to take in the wider Wellington region.
Technology Valley will be a thriving ecosystem and community partnership to create prosperity and wellbeing in the Hutt Valley (and beyond for the Wellington region and New Zealand).
To transform the Wellington region into a prime New Zealand centre for economic and export growth, primarily based on advanced manufacturing (research, technology and engineering).
This will be achieved through:
- Exploring and understanding all inherent advantages and opportunities so that they may be more fully harnessed
- Stimulating industry development and employment by leveraging the region’s R&D strengths to build advanced technologies as the core competencies of firms
- Creating high quality digital connectivity both within the valley and externally to the rest of New Zealand and globally (Technology Valley Online)
- Building a proud and actively engaged community of common interest committed to the creation and success of Technology Valley
- Influencing a cultural shift towards learning, innovation and striving for improvement
- Connecting talented and capable people
- Celebrating and communicating success
- Improving the physical and spatial environment, including tangible infrastructure, so that they support the development of Technology Valley
- Inspiring young minds.
Like Silicon Valley, Technology Valley will not re-name a geographic location or set up a new bureaucracy. Rather it is an aspirational state-of-mind and attitude, located in the region, which uses technology orientated programmes to achieve improvements in community prosperity and wellbeing. As a movement for good it will create a simple sense of community belonging, involvement and motivation for those it embraces (community building).
Unlike many initiatives of the past, Technology Valley’s objectives and tasks will frequently be appropriately shared through many organisations, businesses and individuals. Much of this activity will involve action / learning steps that will be fed back into integrated communications and a committed cycle of leaned improvements.
Technology Valley values and beliefs
- We value above all our commitment to the sustainable growth and wellbeing for the whole of our community.
- We acknowledge the crucial importance of harnessing science, technology and engineering resources for our businesses’ long term prosperity.
- Our ethos is a determination to leave a community for future generations, which is an improvement on the present time.
- We regard people, in all their diversity, as our most valuable asset.
- Positivity, teamwork and building pride in our community is our working ethic.
- We are committed to the highest standards of fairness, ethics and integrity.
- We believe in exploring any appropriate avenue to create advantage for our community.
- We will work with any reputable and socially responsible person or entity to achieve our goals.
- We expect and will be accountable for constant gains for the community.